Monday, October 05, 2009

Singing, Singing all the Day…

 6a00e54eff0dda8834010536f956e4970c-320wiNow, anyone that knows me well, knows that I am not the greatest singer in the world. I can kind of hold my own in a large choir, but even then it’s tolerable at best. :) As I was growing up, and even now, my Mom will bust into song at the most random times, and even times when it’s not so random. However, during these times, she isn’t just singing… she’s belting it out! I can remember giving her looks like she was crazy, and sometimes I think she was. But, crazy or not it is a great memory.

Well, apparently the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Yesterday during the afternoon session of conference the congregation was singing “Hope of Israel”. Before the song even started I was belting it out and Tucker gave me probably the EXACT same look I used to give my Mom. It was pretty darn classic. I text my Mom and told her about it, I’m pretty sure she had a good laugh. And, I’m pretty sure that there are plenty more looks to come from Tucker because the singing just won’t stop! :)

On a similar note, last time I was in California I asked my Dad to give me a blessing. In the blessing I was told that the Lord will help me to do anything that I want to do as long as he wills it to be done. The interesting thing is that a few things were listed, and one of them was singing. I couldn’t help but chuckle a little when I heard that, but since then I have been wondering why that was said so specifically. Well, I’ve noticed that the last week or so, Tucker starts to calm down for bed time when I start to sing the primary songs to him. I usually sing the songs about going on a mission, I figure if I start young then it’s better. :) So, maybe that is what the blessing was talking about, who knows, all I know is it works. :)

4 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

I have witnessed several of those outbreaks into song. Good times. I especially enjoyed "There is sunshine in my soul" during one of Pohnpei's daily downpours. Love it.

Blevins family of three said...

I need to practice my singing as well! I have always wanted to be good! I am a car singer.

Mom said...

Ah, yes, memories from home and your Mom's wonderful singing - loved it!!!!!!!!

Ashley Gilbert said...

I totally recommend Speech Level Singing. They have a website and they are everywhere in the U.S. I have learned a lot from my voice teacher. And I have been singing for years...literally years!